Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cacaote at Senopati

This Saturday night I begged my mom and dad to take me to this super trending spot in Jakarta, Cacaote. Located at Senopati; where all the cool eateries are; this French-themed restaurant invites passer-bys with their incredibly appealing exterior. Take a look:

 A zoom in of the logo just because it's so pretty.
Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pictures of the interior, but I can assure you that it's pleasing to the eye. The designer deserves tons of praises. However, I must admit that the exterior is more impressive than the interior.
The desserts!


 Below are my mom and dad. First picture shows the a part of the first floor, second shows the part on the second floor behind our dining table.


ON TO THE FOOD! Beforehand, I apologize for the not-so-decent photos. I had forgotten to bring my camera and had to rely solely on my Iphone.


Seafood Pot Pie, Rp.100k.
To be honest, I was very disappointed with this dish. The menu had listed the contents of the pie, which are green peas, red snapper, white clams and baby lobster chunks. After I made my order, a waiter came up to our table to inform us that the white clams weren't available. I ordered it anyway, hoping that the chefs might just add an extra portion of the other meats. When the dish arrived, I dove right into it and found that there were a lot of snapper chunks and green peas, but only one chunk of the baby lobster. In addition, I had spotted some of the snapper chunks that still have bones attached to them. Only to make matters worse, the overall taste of the dish was bland - the mashed potatoes and meats inside seemed unseasoned. The salad was crisp, and lemon dressing was marvelous, although I think adding some more would make the salad even better.

Linguine Aglio e Olio with Baby Lobster, Rp. 135k
The pasta was so much better than the pot pie. The linguine was cooked al dente, the baby lobster was juicy and well-cooked, and the amount of salt and pepper added was right. The dish wasn't dry either - juices were seen underneath the pasta.

I actually ordered the Lobster Mac and Cheese too, but I didn't take a shot worth posting, so I'll just comment without the picture. The cheeses used were guyere and emmental (if I recall correctly), which contributed greatly to the overall taste of the dish. The baby lobster chunks were also far more numerous than in the pot pie. Just like the linguine pasta, the macaroni was also cooked al dente and the seasoning was perfectly balanced. A choice of french fries or green salad is available as a side. This dish costs Rp. 120k.

We're getting to the part where most peeps have been waiting for - DESSERTS!

The first dessert is....
Dark Chocolate and Popcorn, Rp. 45k
This is Cacaote's infamous ultimate favorite dessert of all time. This is basically a dark chocolate mousse with a chocolate cake as a base, covered in dark chocolate ganache (sprinkled with edible gold dust, mind you). It tastes amaze-balls. It was not too sweet, just like what it should be. The mousse was thick yet smooth, and having only one bite is not enough. However, there's one downside in this dessert; the chopped popcorn on the foot of the cake. As this cake was put inside a chilled display, the popcorn have lost their crunch and become rather soggy. There is no particular taste on the popcorn either.

A peek on what's inside:

Second dessert for the night...

Berry Eclair, Rp. 35k
I must start by saying that I LOVE the buttercream on top. The buttercream was deeply infused with the berries (which I suspect to be a combination of strawberries and raspberries, with a greater proportion of the strawberries). The buttercream was also chilled and very light on the tongue; leaving no traces of excessive oil to the mouth. The eclair is good, even if the eclair did not follow the texture of a regular choux - it tastes more like a kouign amann. I made the latter statement due to the fact that the eclair was crusty on the exterior, unlike choux which is supposed to be soft even on the outside. The berry filling on the inside is also in equilibrium in the sense of sweetness and sourness. The eclair was topped with berry and marshmallow pieces.

I also ordered the White Tea, in which I am not going to review because I am not an expert in tea tasting. Nevertheless, I'm going to post a picture just to show you how pretty the china looked.
The tea costed Rp. 40k

I am going to rate Cacaote 3 stars. Now don't show me that gasping faces - I rated Cacaote moderately low because I am heavily disappointed on the main course, especially the Seafood Pot Pie. The desserts also qualify as delicious treats, but I have tried better ones. Also, the price of the main course was very pricy, considering the taste which is not spectacular. I have indulged in cuisines with similar prices that are far more tasty than those. I would be revisiting, but I would only be back for the dessert.

Cacaote
Jl. Senopati Raya No. 80
Jakarta Selatan 
12190


No comments:

Post a Comment